Monday, April 26, 2010

Chapters

Is graduation really worth the extra emotional baggage?

It's like when people ask you if you feel old on your birthday. I feel one day older than yesterday, age comes with maturity, and maturity isn't a matter of days but instead of experiences, of failures and learning. So on my birthday do I feel older? No.

A chapter is ending in my life? Not so much, waking up the day after commencement will feel like waking up the day before. We are a culture obsessed with milestones and birthday celebrations. All about the starting gun and the finish line. The race is in the journey isn't it?

A good sprinter also practices getting out of the blocks and leaning in for a finish. I suppose I just don't want to deal with farewell. So I guess I should start saying it now, "farewell".

No comments:

Post a Comment